Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Goofy

I use this word a lot. It just seems to be so applicable to so many people and situations.

But, I have been finding out that foreigners don't learn this word during their English educations. This is problematic because as I said, I use this word a lot, and "goofy" isn't really a simple word to explain.

If I ever teach an English course, I need to make sure "goofy" is on the vocabulary list. If any of you have influence upon English language education in foreign countries, please teach this word.

In the process of me learning German I feel like nouns and verbs are super important while I can get away with a small supply of adjectives and adverbs. But, when I speak English with my foreign friends, I find that it is through the language of adjectives that I express myself and can be descriptive. Apparently, all parts of speech are important. So much to learn...

3 comments:

  1. goof⋅y  /ˈgufi/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [goo-fee] Show IPA
    –adjective, goof⋅i⋅er, goof⋅i⋅est. Slang. ridiculous; silly; wacky; nutty: a goofy little hat.
    I got this out of the dictionary on line. Ithought you would have done this already. I am sure most people can understand what silly or crazy or even ridiculous could mean, can't they?

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    ReplyDelete
  2. After the first time I had to explain the word I did look it up in the dictionary. The difficulty is that it is like silly, but not quite. Still, silly is the word I have been going with to explain goofy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think silly is your best bet. I was telling Hoi Ying about your trouble with trying to explain to non-English speaking people the word goofy and she asked, what is goofy? I told her I told you it was like being silly, really "crazy" silly and she said she understood what I meant by that. And her English is not very good at all, even yet.

    ReplyDelete