Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Baalstein Lookout and Geisswand


Saturday was very rainy all day, but I was determined to go outside and enjoy the beautiful alpine country of Traunkirchen Ort, Austria. So, at a lull in the rains I headed up the steep hill behind the Nemestothy's house. The woods were full of spooky fog which made the hike quite an adventure. The heavens decided to pour down on me when I got to the first lookout, so I hid under a tree for a while. At the second lookout, up at the tip top of the limestone rock hill, I got absolutely pouned on by buckets of summer rain. It was beautiful! It was like standing in a shower for as long as I wanted without fear that I was wasting water. I finally decided to head back down the mountain when my pants were soaked through. I had on my raincoat, so my body's core stayed dry and warm (enough).

2 comments:

  1. You are a nut. But I do know you like the rain. I don't mind it if it's a warm summer day, maybe about 80-85 and then the rain feels good. But when it's only 35 or 40 degrees, it chills you to the bone. Then I really don't like rain.

    Kind of scary, though, hiking on the wet grass and the rocks. Could have slipped and twisted your ankle and no one around to help you. I guess you were never a Boy Scout with their buddy system (never go alone). Of course I can understand no one wanting to go with you in that kind of weather. I can see you wanting to make the most of your time there. It's just that with that kind of weather, you sure wouldn't get any kind of view from the top.

    I am glad Sunday was sunny and nice for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw this picture I was sure it was taken on that hike at pictured rocks. haha

    ReplyDelete