Friday, May 7, 2010

Leaf Beetle of Park Branitz

This morning I gave a tour of the locally famous Park Branitz with a classmate for our Cultural Landscapes and Historical Gardens course. While on the tour I came across this fantastic beetle on the path! He is so pretty that I just had to take pictures and bring him home!




I tried to do my beetle research on the internet and identify him, but I think the best name I can provide is "Leaf Beetle". There are thousands of leaf beetle varieties in North America and Europe, so perhaps this is sufficient. But, my friend Lili is in fact just starting a study project on trapping and identifying beetles, so perhaps she could help me narrow down an identification! Or, if you'd like to do some browsing yourself, I found the following website which is pretty interesting

http://www.biol.uni.wroc.pl/cassidae/European%20Chrysomelidae/index.htm





I like how the word "pleasure" ended up getting in the shot! It was indeed a pleasure to find this little dude.

2 comments:

  1. I presume he was already dead. I am sure you didn't kill him, did you? I presume he's dead b/c otherwise he's being really cooperative for you while you pose him for pictures.
    I don't know what the Emerald Ash Bore beetle looks like b/c I haven't seen one, but this guy could really pass for one with his coloring-emerald. Or maybe he's jade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was dead when I found him.

    The Ash Bore beetle is the first thing which Google finds when the keywords "green beetle" are typed in, so I found out that Ash Bore beetles are longer and narrower than my find.

    ReplyDelete