Thursday, April 2, 2009

German Vehicles

As we drove to the airport in Detroit (it's not really in Detroit, but who's looking at a map, right?), my mother made a request. She wanted me to observe if Germans were driving an abundance of "Smart Cars". Well, as I took a walk a few days ago, I saw a Smart Car and decided to be observant. It was not just on that walk that I observed cars though. I have been doing it since Day 1 and have been having a difficult time figuring out how to draw a conclusion from all that I have seen. You see, there are Smart Cars on the roads, but there are also vehicles that run the gamut of fuel and size efficiency. If the question is: Are there more Smart Cars here than in Michigan? Then the answer is emphatically Yes. If the question is: Are Smart Cars common here? Then the answer is emphatically No. The best conclusion I can offer is this: No matter the style, size, or brand of automobile, the majority of vehicles have flat rear ends. It's actually kind of weird to see these flat rear ends everywhere; like some sort of city-wide experimental art. To demonstrate the variety of vehicles that one is surrounded by when standing in one spot, I took some photos at a location along my walking route. As you can see, there's big ones, small ones...and a bicycle. The bicycle is very common in Erlangen. Within the city, bicycles are to follow the "Red Brick Road", which is the red brick portion of the sidewalk. Sometimes I sing "Follow the Red Brick Road" to the tune of "Follow the Yellow Brick Road" from The Wizard of Oz while I am bicycling along this path.

1 comment:

  1. Well, these "Hatchbacks" or if they are sporty models "Hot hatch" they make perfect sense in a country not made for pickup trucks. That big rear end allows you to maximize storage space for larger items and still have a fairly space-friendly and fuel efficent vehicle. It also allows you to install a dog kennel in the back because a very popular past time for Germans is the "Working dog" training. Animal husbandry is a very serious busisness here, my landlord and his daughter raise defense/working dogs for competition.

    ReplyDelete