Wednesday, April 22, 2009

When I Grow Up I Wanna be A...

My overall goal is to work a job where I play mediator between humans and the rest of the Earth. Since my academic focus has been on geology, geomorphology, soils, chemicals, water, etc., I am headed towards a field of what is called Environmental Science. Within this realm, I can either work for the Man or serve the Man.

If I work for the Man, then I would most likely work for an agency like the national Environmental Protection Agency, the National Park Service, a state park service, a water authority, a state Department of Environmental Quality, a state Department of Natural Resources, the Department of Agriculture, or the national Natural Resources Conservation Service.

If I chose to serve the Man, then I could work for a private Environmental Consultation company, an engineering firm, a water company, or a landfill company, among other options I don't yet know about.

While I could enter a few of these fields with my bachelor of science degree, I would have a better foot in the door with a masters degree. Plus, I'd have a better chance of being Boss someday : ) Not Top Boss, because that would be way too much work and responsibility, but something like a Middle Boss who knows what she's talking about, has a decent amount of sway in what's done, and earns a decent salary.

No comments:

Post a Comment