Thursday, April 15, 2010

New Semester

My second semester at Brandenburg University of Technology (BTU) in Cottbus is nearly two weeks underway. Here's a little summary of the classes I'm taking.

Cultural Landscapes and Historic Gardens

This class actually belongs to another study program called World Heritage, but it's taught by a professor I know and it sounds interesting. It's also a sociological break from my natural science classes. We'll be learning about the history of various landscape and gardens styles in a sort of historical perspective of why these particular styles were popular during their times (e.g. influence of the enlightenment).

Environmental Modelling

In the lecture we'll learn about the theories behind different modelling methods and then in the exercise class we'll learn how to model with the computer program MATLAB.

Applied Geology

This class is like a mixture of Geochemistry and Hydrogeology. During the exercise portion of the class we have to do math. Yuck.

Freshwater Restoration Ecology

With my Aquatic Ecology background from last semester I'm now trying to move on to a new level of activity dealing with waterbodies.

Social Change and Continuity


Another social break from natural sciences, this class looks at how economic systems have developed in unique ways around the world.

Methods of Water Resource Management

This class will take place for just one week in June, so I can't give a first-hand impression of the subject yet, but I think the title explains a bit why I'm interested.

Ultimate Frisbee

Springtime is here which means frisbee outside on the soccer field! I attended once already and it was great fun playing outside. We got a little dirty and the brisk evening air was refreshing compared to the stuffy gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment