Friday, April 2, 2010

Where is the love?

Yesterday evening I was flipping through t.v. channels taking advantage of the approximately 80 channels we get. I found the near-end of a "Mythbusters" episode in which the team split a car perfectly in half with a rocket. That was pretty sweet. I came across a reality show on VIVA, which is the German equivalent of MTV, and watched a 19 year old girl go on a mission to find a guy to have sex with her because it was her opinion that she was definitely too old to have not had sex yet. I didn't watch this show very long because I was disturbed that such a show even existed.

And then I came across the channel which does the international evening news in English (British English, but I'll forgive them). I decided that based upon the random snippets of news I had been hearing on the radio and reading online that I should be a good citizen of the world and watch the international news. So, I sat through news on about 4 countries before I was totally depressed and renewed my old vow to not watch news. People are simply mad. There's the Russian Caucasian "rebels", the Sudanese elections, the Afghan elections, the Catholic priests, the Michigan militiamen (this one didn't make the international news, but I've seen it online), Israel not backing down on stealing Palestinian land, peaceful Jordan getting caught up in spy scandals, and the Iranians trading fuel for weapons with China. I realize that it is these insane people who give us content for history books, but history books are always too big and heavy anyways, so we could use a little less history.

As I was washing dishes in the kitchen this morning I heard the song "Where is the love?" by the Black Eyed Peas on the radio and I think it speaks very well to my feelings. Either use this link or find the song yourself on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjeL-CfwqOI

No comments:

Post a Comment