Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Weihnachtsmarkt Cottbus

A Weihnachtsmarkt is a Christmas Market located in the downtown of German cities. The market is open every day for about a month before Christmas. I have only visited the market in Cottbus so far, but I plan on seeing the one in Berlin on Monday. From what I know so far, I can say that it is not like an American craft sale, rather an outside social gathering to eat grilled meats on bread, eat crepes, eat sweets (roasted candied almonds, Stollen--fruit bread, etc.), drink Gluehwein (mulled wine) and other hot alcoholic beverages, buy some things related to Christmas, buy some things related to winter, buy other general items which I suppose could be Christmas presents, play some carnival games, and ride on carnival rides.

I have visited the market a few times. The family of a friend of mine has a hut where they sell said hot alcoholic drinks, so I paid them a visit a few times. I have gone with Lili a couple of times and it was on our most recent visit yesterday when we rode on the ferris wheel. It was a little scary because the top half of the sitting compartment wasn't caged in, but the view of the city at night was beautiful. The photos below were taken by Lili and belong to her.

As to the hot alcoholic drinks, I have tried the Gluehwein and another drink called Lumumba. The Gluehwein is a red wine spiced with such spices as cinnamon, orange peel, and almonds. I was a little skeptical on my first sip of Gluehwein, but I took to it quit quickly when my tastebuds realized that it did not have the nasty taste of red wine but was actually sweet and smooth (just like I thought red wine should taste before I actually tried it). The Lumumba is a very delicious mixture which I was very skeptical of when I heard the ingredients: hot chocolate milk and rum. The chocolate milk my friend's family uses is very rich chocolately and the rum adds some sort of flavor, but not a nasty alcoholic one. There is also the option to buy Grog, which my family is supposedly acquainted with from our neighbor, but I think that the combination of hot water and rum doesn't sound very tasty, so I doubt I will be trying it any time soon (recipes may very depending on the regional origin of the recipe, so I can't say this Cottbus Grog is the same as Johann's Swedish Grog).

View of a small portion of the market in Cottbus (the market continues a ways down a sidestreet--the main shopping strip)



Me all giddy on the big ferris wheel!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun time to be in Germany. I'll bet the ferris wheel ride was cold up at the top at this time of year. And ferris wheels, btw, don't have cages, normally. They are just open seats with a seat, a back, and a foot rest.
    Johann's Grog is not like that at all. I saw his recipe once. It has a lot of alcohol in it. No water at all. That Lumumba actually sounds good. I like hot chocolate and rum too, so together it is probably a good combination.
    Have fun.
    P.S. I'm going anonymous again. It won't accept my password. Dumb system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went to Hogans on Christmas eve with Creechs after the church service and they had mulled wine. So 3 of us had it. It was good. I had never had it before. I didn't like it so much near the bottom of the glass, though, b/c there was lumpy stuff I was slurping into my mouth that didn't seem too nice. I wouldn't mind having the recipe for that Lumumba if you could get your friend's family to divulge it. You know how much I like hot chocolate and rum. I could make my own at home here.

    ReplyDelete