Monday, December 14, 2009

What a (Bad) Week

I thought I broke the refridgerator when I was trying to find the right dial or button to make it colder. After spending several hours in fear that I had killed the fridge, my apartmentmates came home and informed me that I had only pressed the "defrost" button. The upside to this is that we had too much ice in our freezer compartment, so a defrost was just what the doctor ordered.

I had to spend an entire day with someone I wasn't too keen on in the first place but who I ordinarily see nearly every day. Well, within the course of the day we had the ability to get on each others' nerves, ending in the person yelling at me and hurting my feelings. I decided that the upside to this was to remember not to say to other people what this person said to me.

I woke up to find the toilet water running non-stop. I decided to investigate under the tank cover. I found water pouring out from between a plastic ring and a metal pipe. I got the water down to a drip before I screwed the plastic ring too tight and caused it to crack. Water began spraying out from the pipe and flames began spraying out of the orifices of my head. In my state of panic and rage I managed to locate the turn-off valve for the water pipe. After coming to my senses, I took some pictures of the broken region (with a ruler for scale--last time I needed something from the hardware store I had to return home to do some measurements) and headed over to the hardware store. The helpful salesman showed me everything I needed. When trying to undo the pipes, I had some difficulty and went down to my old neighbor to ask for some more hands, but he said he would come by in an hour. I didn't want to wait an hour, so with renewed vigor I attacked the pipe. I succeeded in unscrewing the old part and putting on the new part. I nervously turned the water back on and flushed the toilet...and it worked! For those of you out there who ever thought that my lack of interest in construction would leave me inept at fixing household problems (and I know you people exist), I am here to show you that my abilities prove themselves worthy when necessity strikes.

Broken--You can see the crack in the plastic ring.


Fixed--I had to replace the whole water in-flow contraption (comes as one piece).



I'm hoping for this coming week to go a little better.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry you had such a bad week. But way to go Laurie!!! on fixing that toilet part by yourself. I am very proud of you and impressed. I don't think I could have done that. The part looks different so I would have been afraid it wouldn't work. But if it does, yay. It looks nicer and cleaner too. I am sure your apartmentmates were happy you solved the problem so quickly and the landlord without having to do it himself or call a plumber with that added expense. Hey, why are you fixing things the landlord should be doing? Oh yeah, you didn't want to wait for help. Well, you got it working, so good for you!

    ReplyDelete