Wednesday, May 13, 2009

New Names and Faces

I suppose that since I introduced you to my housemates when I first arrived that I should update you on the situation. Frank moved out at the end of March. His room has remained empty. Yve moved out a few weeks ago. A new MBA student from India, named Pratibha, has moved in to his room. She is working for Siemens. Sacsha, who also works for Siemens, will be moving out this coming weekend. A new guy is scheduled to move in to to his room on June 1st, so he said. When Sascha moves out I will finally be able to figure out which of the bottles in the bathroom we share are leftovers from old renters. There was a glass on our bathroom shelf up until about a week ago growing beautiful orange mold on its bottom. The entire time it sat there growing mold I was in disbelief that Sacsha really used it, but figured there was no other reason for it to be there. I finally asked and found out that it had been there when he moved in. Oh. It went directly to the trash bin. Pratibha's a cool girl. We tend to be eating breakfast and dinner about the same time so we chat (in English). She knows a little bit of German, but not enough to carry on any sort of even easy conversation. Sometimes when I come home and am in a German language mood I speak German to her and translate each sentence right after I say it. But, that gets annoying after a little bit and I switch to just English.

There's a new guy here in the lab named Baraa and he's from Egypt. He's working on his PhD. His German is pretty good for having only taken a 6 month intensive course. I try to converse in German with him, but sometimes we switch to English when the concepts we are discussing are too technical. Baraa is a nice, friendly guy. He makes me feel like I've been here in the lab for a while and have some sort of superiority because I explain to him what certain things are used for and where things are located.

I have come to feel quite comfortable in this lab. I am glad to have had this opportunity to participate in this aspect of geology research.

3 comments:

  1. People are strange,
    When your a stranger.
    Faces come out of the .....

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://home.att.net/~chuckayoub/People_Are_Strange_lyrics.html

    You are Anonymous, but if you knew anything about me, you'd know that I couldn't not look for the origin of this unique sounding statement. This website gives the complete lyrics to a The Doors song and a little history of the origin of its writing.

    And for those of you who don't follow the link, the rest of the phrase is "Faces come out of the rain."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Additionally, I like the song. Thank you for leading me to it, Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete