Thursday, May 7, 2009

Thinking Before I Speak

I was riding my bicycle home from the lab this evening, deep in English language thought, when I saw Jan, a friendly student from the lab, walking up a neighborhood street towards me. We had previously had a conversation about where he lived and I had developed my own notion of exactly where his apartment was located. Upon seeing him on the “wrong” side of the street I blurted out in English, “On this side?” And he quickly responded in perfect English, “Yes, on this side”. We carried on a few more exchanges in rapid conversation before I exclaimed, “Wait! We're speaking in English!” I had been so caught up in the conversational thoughts in my head that when I saw him I automatically started speaking English. His responses came back in such normal tones and speed that it took me a while to realize that he was Jan, a German on a German sidewalk, and that we were not speaking German. Full of giggles, I switched the rest of the conversation over to German.

2 comments:

  1. Why switch to English? It sounds like he was having no trouble with speaking English and may even enjoy having the chance to practice his English, so when he has a need or chance to use it, he can do better. From what I hear from people in other countries, they often have to learn English in school, but then may rarely, if ever, get a chance to really use it so they can keep up their skills in it. Just like us learning a foreign language without the benefit of getting a chance to really use it outside of the classroom.
    I think it's cool that you were thinking in English and just started speaking it (as a native of the English language, that would come more naturally, even if you are in Germany) and that he also spoke English without trouble right back at you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could have translated for you. =)

    Are you coming back yet, Lali??

    ReplyDelete