Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Evil Assignment

I hate writing essays about things I barely understand. I try to read all the stuff written about the things which confuse me, but all they end up doing is confusing me more. Everything is too complicated and it's no wonder my interpretation of the information comes out all complicated and oversimplified. I try to simplify things into causes and effects which make sense to me. Then, my work gets edited and I'm told things don't make sense. Well, they make sense to me! I try to write for my audience, and to do so I reason, I am also a member of the audience. Most of my assignments have gone relatively well this semester, but this one deals with chemical reactions, and I hate chemical reactions (because they are complicated). Sometimes I want to just accept that I'll never win certain fights. But, I have to try and it's so frustrating!

2 comments:

  1. I like things kept simple, easier to understand. But I am sure a science professor teaching a grad class isn't looking for simple.
    I was told once I had an illogical logic. Maybe you have that too. As you said, you tried to simpify something and then the prof says it doesn't make sense. Can't win sometimes. Chemistry, eeeuuuu. I hated chemistry. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been suffering the same homework pain this weekend. Not the chemical one but biodiversity/ecology. There is a long road leading to be a real scientist...

    ReplyDelete