Sunday, January 31, 2010

What is one thing you would change about your appearance?

And would you really change it, or is it just a part of who you are and you are okay with it making you look weird?

Whenever I ponder this question, I am puzzled by what answer I should give. I won't list off all of my flaws to you right now because if I did, then those features would stick out in your brains whenever you think of me, and I surely don't want that! But, I will say that one time one of my signature features was erased from a photo and even though I typically don't like this feature, the person in the photo simply wasn't me without this feature. And then there's the solution I tap into now and then of wearing cover-up, making my face one even tone. While I like this effect a lot, I also really like seeing my freckles and the various shades the different sections of my face naturally take on.

But, there is one feature of my face which nearly everyone I am acquainted with has pointed out once or twice which should probably go on a list of things I should want to change about my appearance. Look at the following picture.



Perhaps your eyes are first drawn to the yucky red acne, but since that is temporary (in a long-term sense of the term), I want you to look at the picture again.

Yes, you see it now. You see it in multiple locations. Here's a hint if you are not seeing it...blue.

I have very blue veins on my face, which some days seem to pop out very brightly. It doesn't matter whether I've got a tan or not, the vein under my eye is always showing through my skin. But as I said, there are some days when I get the question (even from my own mother), "What happened to your eye? Did you get hit by something?" And then there are days like today when Christin pointed out that I had veins on my forehead in addition to under my eye. I looked at myself in the mirror and felt like I was wearing make-up for an alien role in a tv series like Star Trek.

The thing is, I should probably be bothered that this vein under my eye which is so noticable and draws people's attentions. But, it is partially due to the fact that people have noticed it for so long (my entire life) that it's like them saying, "Hey, is that a right arm I see on you?"

So, ponder this question, "What is one thing you would change about your appearance?" because I think it is a more complicated question than we typically take it for.

1 comment:

  1. Minor detail. Nothing to worry about or fuss over. I have seen much worse things on people's faces that would really turn you off. Your veins are natural. Maybe more noticable b/c your skin is thin (ie: less fat to hide them), b/c you are, and thus they show more than on others. But it's not a thing you should be bothered about. For sure.

    ReplyDelete