Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Ingredient of the Week: Lime

I tend to go on little kicks with my food ingredients, especially when it comes to flavoring meals.

This week I have a variety of vegetables on hand. The vegetables look so colorful and happy that I want to flavor them lightheartedly. In the past I have found a combination of lemon and lime to be a lighthearted combination. These past couple of days I've gone heavy on the lime part, resulting in amazing deliciousness.

The lemon-lime duo isn't just for veggies either. Sunday it went into the groundbeef and veggies pan which got mixed with spaghetti noodles for consumption. Yesterday it went in the pan with chicken and veggies. Today it just went with veggies, but the other half of my plate has dry mashed potatoes (I always find mashed potatoes dry). I find it useful to pair the lighthearted lemon-lime with heavy foods, like the beef, chicken, and potatoes because it makes the meal slide down easier.

What's with all the meat? I'll explain some of that in a couple of weeks when I produce my "Bodyweight Study" results. That study is coming along very nicely and I am very excitedly watching the results. I can't wait to share, but I have to wait in order to have results of enough significance!

A professor told my class on Friday that every slide in a presentation should have a "take-home message". So, my take-home message for this blog entry is: go buy some lime in a bottle (assuming you already have lemon at home) and squeeze both lemon and lime into your next pan of frying vegetables (or boiling, but preferably frying). Experiment with varying amounts of lemon vs. lime for a variety of tastes.

Every meal I make is a mystery on how it will taste. Be creative and enjoy stepping into the unknown!

No comments:

Post a Comment