Sunday, September 6, 2009

Welcome to Schmellwitz, Cottbus





This is a sequence of photos I took when I was returning home from the grocery store across the street. As you can see, the tram has a stop right in front of my building complex. Then, you can see my building complex from the outside (but not my apartment). And then the courtyard on the inside. My apartment is on the 4th floor where the windows are open. My bedroom is in the green area.

The apartment is so roomy that I feel like it might be just as big as those houses in Livonia where lots of Clarenceville people lived. We've got 4 decent sized bedrooms, a full bath, a half bath, a small kitchen, and a large living room/dining room. I look at these apartment complexes, which are numerous in Germany, and see houses stacked up on one another. And because the walls and floors between apartments are made of cement, sound doesn't pass between apartments very much.

In case you are confused by my title for this entry, you should know that I live in a neighborhood of Cottbus called Schmellwitz. I am not sure if there is a meaning behind the name, but it sounds funny and makes me giggle. I did some research on the internet last night and learned that Schmell is a German last name while Witz means joke/gag. Schmell sounds like the English smell, so...I live in the smelljoke (according to a English-German language mix).

No comments:

Post a Comment