Monday, October 12, 2009

Germany's lack of organization

Germany is trying to drive me insane. It really is a terrible thing to have to face the rest of the world after experiencing the such wonderfully organized Calvin College. The university here makes everything so much more complicated than need be. So, the university gives each student an ID card. This card is useless though until you go to a special machine and "activate" the chip in the card. Then, you have to go to a special computer and register for an account. This special computer is in the same room as the special machine, but their ***** ain't any signs telling you that you have to visit both the machine and the computer! And then, because the university apparently doesn't have the computer know-how to centralize student info (already obvious by the activating and registering), each student has to register at the library in order to be able to check out media or view library materials online. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrr.

In the spirit of not letting Germany drive me insane, I will mention one process here which was much easier than in the United States. When someone wants to walk dogs at the Kent County Animal Shelter in Grand Rapids, Michigan, a class with a quiz held every few months must be attended. In contrast, all I had to do here was bring proof of my most recent tetanus shot and my ID on my first visit, then I was good to go.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I was going to ask you how your first day of classes went, but maybe I won't. I am sorry Germany is driving you nuts, as I know how much you love being there and was looking forward to studying there. Hopefully things will improve with time.

    I agree computers can be aggravating though or the usage of them. Remember I told you how difficult our computers at work are and that they are not user friendly? I said they must have bought a cheap system. That thought was confirmed to me recently. Grrrr also.

    I am glad the shelter is easier going there. I guess they really appreciate people coming in and volunteering their time to walk the dogs. Sounds like the GR way would turn people away from helping.

    ReplyDelete