Saturday, October 3, 2009

Tag der Deutschen Einheit

Today Germany celebrates "Tag der Deutschen Einheit" (Day of German Unity). This year is the 20th anniversary of a united Germany.

I heard the announcement on the radio last night that today was going to be a holiday. I had been planning for days that today would be the day when I went grocery shopping. I decided that I wouldn't rush out and get groceries because I had enough to last me until Monday. It wasn't until Christin mentioned the holiday and said she was going to go grocery shopping that I seriously contemplated going out. But, I still didn't want to go. And then, I realized that I didn't have any more chocolate in the apartment!! Well, right then and there I realized that I had to go, even if it was 9:30pm.

If you recall from the past, I told you that the German grocery stores are only open until 8pm on weeknights and closed on Sundays. Well, things are a little different---for the better---in the old East Germany. Rewe, one of my local grocery stores, is open until 10pm on weeknights. And, if I recall correctly, I read on the Edeka sign that they are open for a few hours on Sunday afternoons.

No comments:

Post a Comment