Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Bye Bye Birdies

The bird family is gone. About a week ago I noticed that there didn't appear to be any babies in the nest anymore and the parents were only infrequently sitting on the nest together. I've been checking in every day to make sure that they are really gone, and I've concluded that it's true.

I don't know what kind of birds they were, but I asked my ecology professor one day about what he knew of birds having babies in the Autumn. He explained that some birds lay eggs 2 of 3 times during the Spring, Summer, Autumn mating season as long as the weather remains decent. Well, I'm not so sure these birds were good judges on "decent" weather, but I guess my theories on accidental late-season mating were probably wrong.

Maybe they'll return to their nest in the Spring!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear they flew the coop OK. And that it was OK and natural for them to be born so late in the year. Thanks for the update. I've been wondering how they were doing.

    ReplyDelete