Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Knitted a New Blue Scarf


How do I justify the hours I spend watching prime-time television? I knit a pretty blue scarf at the same time!

I am proud to say that I don't think I made one single mistake in my pattern. But, it's not like Christin didn't try to mess me up because she definitely did! You see, the pattern consisted of stitching two times in the back and then two times in the front. At the beginning of the project I had to count "one, two, one, two" in order to remember where I was at. Christin decided to try and mix me up by randomly saying "one, two, one, two". So, without telling her or Andre, her boyfriend who was also in the room, I chose to say "nine, ten, nine, ten" in order to keep myself straight. Well, at some point Andre cried out "Nein" in response to something said or done to him, and as I mentally stumbled to figure out if I was on "nine" or "ten", I reprimanded myself for forgetting that although they have completely different meanings, the English "nine" and the German "nein" are pronounced pretty much the same way. Obviously, I had to choose a new sequence of numbers that had no German relatives. There were of course several options available, but I had to avoid anything with the word "four" because that too sounds like the German "vor" (means: before). I settled on "five, six". After a few days I didn't have to count anymore because my body had developed a sense for the rhythm of the pattern.

And now I have a pretty new scarf! Any Christmas requests?

1 comment:

  1. Good job! Looks real nice on you too. Pretty bright blue. Goes esp. good with your hair color.
    Thanks for the offer, but I don't need a scarf at this time. Nice thought though.

    ReplyDelete