Friday, November 20, 2009

"Ah-ha" Moments

There was a moment early on in high school when I remember sitting in English class and saying to myself "ah-ha! I finally understand the parts of speech!" It was a very jubilant moment since teachers had been trying to get it into our little idiot heads for years.

I had an "ah-ha" moment today in Aquatic Ecology. The topic of the course today was "acidification", which is a concept I've been taught about in several courses from various perspectives, but my chemistry skills are poor so thoughts in my head about acidification usually just felt like a blobby gray mass. Until today.

Unlike last week, when the professor for this class kind of sucked (we have a different professor nearly every week), the professor today was fantastic! He started with easy basics, hands-on examples, built up the concept in a simple way, and answered my questions clearly so that by the end I was actually comprehending the chemical formulas he was using to explain acidification!

It always feels good to say "ah-ha".

No comments:

Post a Comment