Friday, November 27, 2009

Rhyming in German

You know what's great about the German language? I'll tell you: the standard form of verbs ends in -en and one of the past tense forms ends in -t. Can you imagine how easy this makes things for poets?! Let's make a poem right now (instead of writing for schoolwork)!

Ich habe einen Hund gekauft,
obwohl es nicht erlaubt war,
Ich habe ihn getauft,
obwohl es nicht gestattet war.

Wir sind im Park gegangen,
er hat einen Ball gefangen.

Wir spielen jeden Tag,
weil er es mag.

Ich muss ihn verkaufen,
weil er zu laut ist,
Ich muss eine nette Familie suchen,
weil er mir so wichtig ist.

I bought a dog,
although it wasn't permitted,
I baptized him,
although it wasn't permitted.

We went to the park,
he caught a ball.

We play every day,
because he likes it.

I must sell him,
because he is too loud,
I must seek out a nice family,
because he is so important to me.

-----------------------------

I can see how much is lost when translating poems!!!!

1 comment: