Friday, November 20, 2009

Ich uebersetze Deutsch.

I bet you don't understand the title of this post. That's okay, it's not your fault that you don't love the German language like I do.

I translate German. That's what the title says. And it's true, I do! I have signed on with the university's International Student Office to edit English texts and translate German texts to English.

I worked on my first assignment a couple of days ago. It was a lot of fun! I was given a couple of forms from the city office. I had to edit some stuff that was already translated and do some of my own translating. There was an entire page explaining a certain law, which might sound like dry reading, but it was actually kind of exciting to find out what all the words meant and learn all the regulations for this law.

I expect to learn a lot of new words through this work. You might be thinking that I should already know all of the words which I need to translate, but in fact I don't. What is important is understanding how German verbs conjugate (so I can find the core verb in the dictionary), how German builds compound words, how sentences are structured, and the German psyche behind word choice. I have these skills and I'm puttin' 'em to use!

6 comments:

  1. Clearly you have become a genius in the German language during your stay. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know. I guess she must have gotten much better since her return to Germany this year b/c every time I've ever mentioned her ability to speak German to others, she'd say, no, I'm not good at it at all. Well, I see you've finally agreed with me Laurie, or learned more since spending so much time there this year.

    Congrats on the new job. I presume it's a paying job. But do you have time to do this too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely not a genius at the German language. As I said, it's about understanding how the language works. But yes, humbleness aside, my German language skills are decent.

    It is indeed a paying job. As a master student I get paid more than bachelor students, which is pretty sweet.

    I've got time. I'll just have to spend a little less time chillin' in front of the tv : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it sad that I read the first paragraph, rushed over to a free translation website, translated it, came back all triumphant and ready to show off my ingenuity, only to read the tranlastion as the very next phrase?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol. That just goes to show what an amazing writer I am with the ability to trick you into thinking that I was going to keep a secret from you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i preferred the information on this internet site. Wish to stop by once more.

    Quebec French Translation & Translators From English to French

    ReplyDelete